Thread: First mono M42
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 07:42 PM
etill (Elliot)

First mono M42

This is my first image with a mono camera which wasn't really meant to be anything more than testing and making sure spacing to the corrector was right. I got a QHY268M recently from another member here and the capabilities and performance are astonishing.

Virtually no processing other than cropping out the dithering artefacts, dynamic background extraction, a little bit of noise reduction, color calibration and masked stretch (all in PixInsight). I adjusted the contrast a little with curves transform.

There are no flats used although I spent a little more time than I care to admit trying to remove the vignetting with DBE wishing I had grabbed some. I also mislabelled the subs and spent some time wondering why the core was blue rather than pink.

There are some pretty magenta stars in there that need to be fixed, but I'll figure that out next time.

10 x 30 sec each of RGB @ -5c, no L because clouds (the blue subs also had a tiny bit of cloud rolling in for the last couple).

Taken with my Vixen 200mm F/4 and a Paracorr. ZWO RGB filters. I really have to get me one of the QHY268 OSC cameras now, these things are amazing (the scaled down jpeg doesn't really do it justice). Looking forward to the next clear night to gather a lot more data on a lot more targets..
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m42.jpg)
186.6 KB56 views