View Single Post
Old 13-09-2021, 05:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Calibration Frames and ZWOASI2600MC

I’ve never had to use darks , flats and other calibration frames at my dark site ( Bortle 3 ) on the South Coast as vignetting and gradients ( minimal ) are easily handled by my processing software Startools ( with or without NB filter and regardless of exposure lengths ) as this camera has almost zero amp glow and almost negligible dark current at -10C.
However since returning back to Bortle 8 Sydney skies ( with neighbours backyard and side flood lights on all night ) recently after being away for nearly 4 months , the Vignetting , dust donuts and gradients are a real problem when imaging targets like galaxies and globs etc... without a filter ( the 2600MC has a UV/ IR protective window , so in effect a Lum filter ) Even using the L Extreme filter requires additional work in processing to minimise these issues but no where near as bad as without a filter.
So now I’m going to have to take Flats to help mitigate these issues , something I’ve never had to do before. Also I believe the Skyglow in Sydney is getting worse year by year which is so evident.
Question: In regard to my 2600MC should I be taking Flats and Dark Flats to Calibrate in DSS or just Flats only.
In addition,I’ve read in a few forums that Bias frames are not usually required in CMOS cameras like the 2600MC , they are more useful in the older CCD type cameras

Any advice on the above would be very much appreciated

Thanks