Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Yeah that’s what I’d say
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Hi Craig,

I had a look at your flattener elongated stars image.

My first impression is its not bad at all. Its only subtle elongation. In a stacked image I doubt that would show through at the end.

But we all want nice round stars to the corners.

An 80mm scope with a camera with larger pixels could easily hide that small amount of elongation.

Do you have PEC enabled on your mount? How old is the PEC file? It may pay to do a fresh one as a new scope, heavier, may cause changes in the PE and PE can change over time as gears wear in more etc.

How old is the mount? What sort of RMS guide errors do you get?
Have you upgraded the mount? Some of these mounts have upgrade kits. Not sure about the 6R.

What settings are you using for your autoguiding? Exposure length, guide rate, aggressiveness, min/max move?

What software are you using for guiding? PHD2 is very good. Sky X is very good.

What was the seeing like?

Greg.
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately my perfectionist nature when it came to landscape photography carried over into astrophotography as well - I can't deal with any visible elongation I must admit that in the one set of data I did stack from it, the elongation in the final stack was hard to see, but as long as it remains I will just have a nagging feeling that I need to fix it.

Re: PEC on mount - if I am honest, no idea. I will need to look at this next clear night. Soon I will be able to image with the EQ6-R + Esprit 80 simultaneously with another EQ6-R and Esprit 120 which should help my patience with fixing the issues I have on the 120, as I won't be wasting good imaging time on the 80.

Mount is only about 8 months old - no upgrades. I'm not aware of any upgrade kit for it but could be wrong (since it already uses a belt.)

Autoguiding - mostly default settings actually. Those have served me fine on the Esprit 80 but clearly not so fine on the 120, but unfortunately I am a bit lost as to what to adjust, when, and by how much. PHD2 is what I am using. Any good resources you know of on how to fine tune your guiding via settings? I mean the manual explains each setting but I guess it's the effect each setting has on other settings and such that leaves me a bit lost when stepping outside the default.

Seeing was pretty good that night from memory but I am no expert in judging it either.
Cheers for the help!