View Single Post
Old 24-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Canon DLSR 1100 Camera- What Can I Do With It?

Hi everyone

Well I've done it....
I'm not going to the dark side, just kind of standing in the middle.
I've just bought myself a Canon EOS DSLR-1100 camera.
Here are the specs.

Hopefully if the weather behaves hubby and I plan to take both my 10" dob and camera/tripod to a dark site tonight.

Just using the camera on the tripod, I'm wandering how far I can push this camera to get some deep sky shots?
I'll be happy at whatever it produces, anything of the night sky is so beautiful.

I've just seen Rob K's pic of the sn in M95 and I want to do that badly, but I see he did it with a 200mm zoom lens and my camera has a standard 18-35mm lens. Can I still achieve something like this as well?
I'm assuming it's taken straight from the camera.

I have very little understanding about cameras as I'm just starting to learn, but whatever you say here, hubby will understand as has some understanding of cameras but has never done deep sky stuff with this kind of camera.
The plan for tonight is for him to be at the camera and me to be at the dob and learn what he's doing.

If I was to get a camera attachment for the dob, aside from the obvious moon and planets, can I still get some bright nebula or something? Sirius and the pup would be nice

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

P.S. if you can post me some examples of pics that this camera would take, that would be helpful also.