View Single Post
Old 19-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Tandum (Robin)

The coatings on the O3 filter you are asking about and the LPS2 filter doug had trouble with will have different reflective properties so you may not have the same issues as doug had. However, as doug stated, an EFS lens won't phyically fit into a camera with a front filter installed.

I used an astronomiks CLS front filter for ages without any of these issues but I rarely use a camera lens, it's almost always plugged into a scope. Regardless, I sold all those filters off and can still manage 15minute subs in the Brisbane suburbs and I can get images like this and this. I found putting a long dew guard on the scope made the images better for less money.

Both are taken at new moon without filters and I'm sure they would have been a lot better from a dark site etc etc, but they where shot from the back yard under city lights. I'm now playing around with narrowband filters for imaging while the moon is up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is suck it and see if you really need filters. Skyglow filters are there to resolve a problem, if you haven't even tried yet, then where is the problem?

Last edited by Tandum; 19-12-2008 at 01:10 AM.