View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 10:33 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

A bit of an experiment

I wanted to see what NGC 6744 in Pavo would look like on a ZWOASI120MM sensor using a shorter focal length telescope. I married it up with a 550mm Esprit 100 but from where I was located, it was heading straight into city light pollution. I kind of gave up on it, from Bortle 6 skies it's just too faint to get much detail out of it. This is a stack of 10 x 70 seconds, for each RGB filter, plus 9 X 70 seconds using a multiband filter for Luminance, no darks or flats, unguided. You could hardly see any evidence of the galaxy on the subs to a point that I was wondering if I had moved to the target at all. I was amazed to see the spiral arms come out in post processing, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I ended up moving to NGC 253 and this is what it looked like, as with NGC 6744, there is a small amount of cropping to remove stacking artifacts but that was all I did, this is basically the whole sensor. I used a multiband filter and shot 10 x 70 seconds subs, darks, no flats, unguided on an HEQ5 mount. A bit of fun experimenting on a warmish Wednesday night here in Melbourne.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ASI120MM_6744.jpg)
203.3 KB71 views
Click for full-size image (ASI120MM_253.jpg)
105.0 KB87 views