View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 08:03 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your scrapping, both at a personal level and at the country level.

However I know most of the admin staff at Canberra Astronomy Society do work at the ANU and I think I might have a friend at GEOScience Australia HQ still.

So, that might provide two avenues, won't even need to be portable as I can take the glass to them, with a nice bottle of scotch to be left forgotten as I leave.

Thanks heaps
Steve
Ps. Otherwise its a compass needle on a pivot board I can load up with increasing weights.
Pps. The bottle bribery offer applies to my GEOScience friend only, not meaning to impede ANU staff in anyway.
The reason for suggesting a portable is that you simply put the probe up to the sample, measure and get data much better than you need. Lab XRF provide even higher quality data but the sample has to be prepared and placed in a sample holder - you would have to powder some mg of sample. So a portable is easier.

There is a part of me that thinks that there must be an even easier test but it eludes me at the moment.

Yes, the treatment of the tertiary sector has been appalling. Apart from the strategic need for an educated population this sector was recently (if my fuzzy memory serves) the country's third biggest export earner.