Thread: ZWO versus QHY
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 10:52 AM
gregbradley

ZWO versus QHY

I have been following the threads on Cloudy Nights about the new 61mp ZWO6200mm and the QHY600.

Looking at the websites of both I can see why there is interest. Prior to this model all their models except it seems for one recent one are all 14bit like a DSLR.

Also the largest sensors in mono have been micro 4/3rds size - about 17 x 13mm, which is quite small. The APSc and full frame sensors up to now are all one shot colour and 14 bit.

Some details are quite sketchy like cooling up to 35C from ambient but it does not say if its regulated like a FLI or SBIG or QSI camera. This affect darks etc. I assume it is but its not stated.

Also the assumption that only 30C drop in temp is plenty or -5C is plenty for these sensors. Again a big assumption as dark current is not the only thing low temperatures fix. Banding is another which I see can occur with the ZWO at room temperature (I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that is true for QHY as well).

If you have evaluated these 2 brands what are the pluses and minuses between a ZWO and a QHY?

Greg.