View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
Thanks Brent, that would be great.
Where did you get the velcro from?
Also, I've seen pics of your al flat on the mirror cell but how does it pivot as you have a bolt in the centre.
I guess you'd need a see-saw type motion for the 6 point cell which is the motion I'm aiming for.
I've seen pics of an Al U channel pivoting on an Al square tube.
Sorry, haven't been back here for a while.
Bunnnings had the Velcro, about $30 IIRC for 50 meter double roll ( hook and wool)
The alum flat has a countersunk hole in the middle. It sits on, wait for it ...., a neoprene rubber roller out of a photocopier with a longish screw down through the middle, longer than the roller is deep. This sits in a hole done with a spade bit in the support ring and the screw end goes down into the centre hole the spade bit left. Drill press is useful here to set the depth the same for all three holes. Fill this all up with silastic goo and drop the roller\flat\screw combination into it with a heavy flat weight on top of all three. Let it set. The neoprene roller and silastic allow the alum to flex a little but they will not move sideways. Add the velcro and drop the mirror on. I have been able to separate them when necessary but it will hold the mirror suspended safely.
Here's some pix from the first build, Skeletope I. I have used the same method in Skeletope II.
First pic, the components, ignore the nylon washers, not used. And I was lucky with clear neoprene rollers.
Second pic put together.
Third pic all sprayed balck and velcro added.
Fourth pic, side shot with mirror mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CELL4.jpg)
51.2 KB101 views
Click for full-size image (Cell3.jpg)
43.2 KB95 views
Click for full-size image (CELL5.jpg)
66.7 KB108 views
Click for full-size image (MirrorandBase.jpg)
86.1 KB128 views