Thread: 10" F4 build
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Hi Alistair

the silicone is just 3 dabs - if you look carefully, you can make out the gaps between them (where the bench top can be seen between the mirror and the support). I used matchsticks as spacers until the silicone was partially set and then pulled them out. It is just standard acid cure Selleys clear adhesive/sealant - nothing exotic.

your mirror cell looks the goods and the mounting philosophy seems sound to me for the relatively thin mirror. Your design would also allow you to easily try out a 3 point mounting if you wanted to reduce the complexity - if it didn't work to your satisfaction, add the 6 point components?

I do not have access to my scope where I am at present, but will post a couple of pictures when I can. Nothing unusual though - the spider is a bog standard GSO with 4 vanes and a central hub. the secondary holder is attached to the hub with a central bolt and alignment is taken care of by 3 screws near the perimeter of the hub, that push against the secondary holder. nothing as sophisticated as you will be building. Also worth considering - Anthony Wesley came up with a very solid secondary support system that you could look at if you haven't already - it's on his website.

regards ray

Last edited by Shiraz; 03-03-2012 at 10:54 PM.