View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 01:50 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

from a structrual point of view 45 degree angle is the strongest you can get when you build a truss system. the OTA is no different, but its not practical or buildable. As a general rule of thumb you want at least four triangles up and four down. Tonight before i leave work ill try and model it to see what kind of flexure you will be looking at.

As for the connections try and get them made to fit the end of your carbon fibre tubes and epoxy them in if they have a T fin plate at the end that can be bolted to a similar detail on the OTA then you will have a very strong fitting. This is something that I was looking at with the designs I have done so far.

As for the secondary steer well clear of wire bad joo joos for AP, if it was good RCOS and the like would use it.... for visual its fine though because a bit of movement isn't noticeable!

If your not a big fan of diffraction spikes use something around the 0.8mm stainless this will give you a good vane and try to make it no deeper than 20mm or this could give you odd defraction artifacts on off axis light paths. My 254 i built the secondary and it runs 1.5mm Stainless vanes, its built like a ox and doesn't move!

Simple calculations will give you how much weight you will require to balance free body diagrams and equilibrium conditions will do it