View Single Post
Old 14-06-2022, 03:17 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunty View Post
Thanks ChrisV, but I'm stumped about the difference between 'live stack' and 'live view'. I can't work out how to do the latter.
And yes, I can slew the scope from my iphone but how do I then remotely refocus on the target?
Notionally, "Live Stacking" is most commonly used in relation to video frame alignment and stacking with an App like Sharpcap. The application takes each video frame and aligns it, and stacks it, to build up total exposure time, it is essential for building an image of faint objects. "Live View" typically refers to real time video capture by a video capable camera, like a Nikon or Canon, but it has no build up of images over time, it is real time only and thus works best with bright objects.

As far as focusing goes, Sharpcap offers a focusing assistant function, which has a selection of tools, including a virtual batinkov mask, FWHH, etc. Focus calculation provided in some camera apps like Backyard Nikon or Backyard EOS ( if using Live View function).

One important consideration, most visually engineered Dobs are set up for visual use and human eye focus through eye pieces, most visual Dobs, will not provide enough inward focal range go allow a camera to achieve focus, this is certainly true for DSLRs in my experience, often requiring scope or focuser modification. Astro type cameras, like ASI, may also experience problems achieving focus when attached to a Dob focuser. You will need to test this before you try outreach, obviously. I recommend you understand this issue as a priority, and decide if you are prepared to alter the Dob, which may include pushing the primary into a camera focus position. In cases where mods to the primary distance are done, an extension tube might be required to achieve visual focus using eye pieces ( and this is typically how dual use Newts are set up).
Refractors, on the other hand, are usually very easy to configure for EAA, as they typically provide long focuser travel, both inward and outward of the notional human eye focal point; and thus do not require modification of the light path.

Last edited by glend; 14-06-2022 at 03:47 AM.