View Single Post
Old 22-09-2015, 07:52 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Trying to get assistance from SB regarding one of their old mounts was like pulling teeth. APs customer service has always been pleasant - have had a couple of great chats with Christine via email - nothing was too much trouble.

Great review Greg - confirmed many suspicions

DT
Thanks David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Nice Greg, excellent review. But you know, eventually, youll end up with an Ascension 200HR, output encoders standard etc. itelescope tells me its just the ducks guts. Its only a matter of time.......
Accurate encoders is probably the likely path most high end mounts will be taking in the near future. The Ascension is a very high payload mount. Probably the AP3600 is the competitor for that.

Good to know as I was wondering how a Planewave mount would go. Its their first mount as far as I know. I don't see a need personally for a 124kg mount for $23,500. A bit pricey considering the AP1600 is 100kg capacity for $11,000. But to be fair you'd have to add the encoders so that would be around US$17K+. Planewaves CDK20 and 24 need that little bit more than a PME. AP1600 is listed as being able to handle 20 inch CDKs. But I imagine that is at the limit. I am told the PME cannot. Perhaps PME 11 can?? AP3600 would be the one to chose for the really large scopes in the AP stable. Its conservatively (reliably conservative) 136kgs capacity at least and with the encoders is $26,700. Not exactly the same but close enough.

As you would know its better to overmount your scopes. So 20 inch CDK and above would be best to have either Ascension200HR or AP3600. I am sure both are excellent. I wouldn't have the same confidence in Planewave as I would in AP but I have no basis to doubt their mount is great.

I can see ending up with the encoders option on the AP1600 though. It would be cool to be able to do a genuine 10 minute unguided round star image at 3 metres focal length.

The PME is an older mount but its a classic and it still holds up well after all these years.

Greg.