View Single Post
Old 27-09-2021, 05:25 PM
Astronovice (Calvin)

Totally agree with the sentiments in your previous post Lewis.

The politicisation, misinformation and hype around COVID vaccines is unprecedented. The instant nature of communication these days should work in favour of rapidly proliferating fact based information, unfortunately this often gets swamped by crap peddled by extremists and charlatans, sadly some of them posing as politicians.

Some of us are old enough to understand the value of vaccination based on real life experiences. I was born and lived in England until 1982. My mother nursed her sick father suffering with TB, the result being she contracted TB and passed away before I was old enough to know and remember her.

My now wife and I when courting used to walk past a house with a large bay window, which contained a double bed kitted out with an electrically powered iron lung occupied by a young ex nurse, who whilst nursing an infected patient contacted polio that paralysed her from the neck down. She lived in permanent fear of power cuts.

Just two examples of diseases that have been eradicated by vaccines in all but third world countries. I understand that this vaccine was developed quickly, but that was a result of limitless funds and effort. The technology has been around for years and has been adapted for COVID. Even the newer mRNA based vaccines technology was developed at least 4 years before COVID appeared as part of research towards vaccines for diseases like HIV, which is still a work in progress.

So, please all get vaccinated as soon as possible if you haven’t already done so and let us get back to at least some sort of normality in the next few months.