View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 01:54 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
Renato,

I had my cataracts done just over 12 months ago. My left eye in particular has a slightly distorted outer surface of the cornea, which was leading to optical aberrations, in addition to the cataract issues. My ophthalmologist recommended IC-8 "small aperture" lenses for me. I am delighted with the outcome, but these lenses may not suit everybody.
https://www.bauschsurgical.eu/produc...lenses/ic-8tm/

The IC-8 lenses have an opaque "donut" with a small central open aperture. This minimises the amount of "off-axis" light entering the eye. This has dramatically reduced the amount of aberration and astigmatism I get from my mis-shaped corneas. The "pinhole" lenses mean that in good light, I have crystal-sharp vision from about 20 cm out to infinity. My daytime vision is excellent, as is my night-time vision, but the reduced aperture means that in low light conditions, I struggle a bit to read fine print etc. (My pupils open up as normal for a person of my age, but the fixed aperture lens means that my effective aperture is equivalent to what my pupils would be in a well-lit room or similar.)

As far as looking through a telescope is concerned - I guess it's like having perfect vision, but having the telescope "stopped down" a bit. The improvement in clarity of my night vision more than compensates for the slight loss of brightness.
Thanks Julian,
I didn't know such a lens existed. I'd be worried about the small aperture though as, compared to other people, I've always been able to see in the dark where they were saying they were blind as bats.

Whichever lens I choose, it will be interesting as similar to you, I have really bad astigmatism in both eyes, and the scrip for them says I need eye glasses for driving and reading. But on the eyechart tests, I always outperformed by two lines of letters what the scrip said I should achieve. Might be weird having a razor sharp eye and an astigmatic one.
Cheers,
Renato