View Single Post
Old 13-09-2023, 03:46 PM
JimmyAstro

Looking to Begin Astrophotography

Hi,

I posted part of this in the new member intro forum section.

But, it is really related to beginner equipment so I thought I would post part here too.

I am interested in astrophotography, something I could have only dreamed of back in the 80's.

I am thinking to start with either an EQ3-2 or EQ5 as the mount, I want something that is portable and that I am going to get out and not just sit there because it is too heavy.

When it comes to the telescope or OTA, I am thinking either a Skywatcher Newtonian 130 or 150 PDS, but I can't seem to find one anywhere for sale in Australia. Or perhaps a Skywatcher refractor 62ed evolux or 72ed black diamond refractor. I have an old 135mm lens that I am also planning on using with my cheap DSLR.

I am thinking these should be light enough for an EQ3-2 or EQ5 mount when well balanced. Trying to stay light and wide, I believe staying wide as a beginning imager is probably a good starting point as I think I will probably enjoy more success and will stay within the limits of a small mount. Early success seems to be important from what I see, and not making things too difficult to start with.

Once I have served my probation period on here, I plan on putting a wanted advert in for some of the things listed above. I am happy looking for an older EQ3-2 or EQ5, even if it needs a little work! If anybody has one? Budget is tight so don't want to spend too much. I would like to also take on the DIY OnStep system/project to add to such a mount.

Other than that really excited to be here and learn from you all.

Interested to know your thoughts and advice on the above.

Regards

JA