View Single Post
Old 25-04-2021, 03:31 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Your AZEQ6 mount has a max payload of 22Kg ( recommended Astro payload 16kg )
My EQ6-R mount has a max payload of 20kg ( recommended Astro payload 15kg )
I have 3 x 5.1kg counterweights on my mount ( it only came with 2 x 5.1kg counterweights )
So the answer to your question is 3 x 5.1kg are fine for your AZEQ6 mount

Due to the laws of physics with “moment of inertia” in balancing weight (mass) on an axis , the opposing forces of torque are minimised if the weights are closer to the centre of axis or pivot point
I would slide your counterweights together as one single static weight and then slide them as close to the mount as possible whilst keeping the mount balanced plus a slight adjustment for “East Heavy”
I have my 3 x 5.1kg counterweights locked up together and pushed up the counterweight shaft as close as possible to the mount. I had to buy a counterweight extension shaft as my existing shaft was 40mm too short and adding another counterweight was counterproductive
There’s a lot of conjecture about this principle , it works fine for me with tracking and guiding but I just do it anyway as most Astro sites , YouTube clips , video and magazines you see this configuration time and time again , I’ve rarely seen the counterweights spaced apart until I saw your photo
My recommendation......
Cheers
Martin