View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 03:08 AM
beren

http://www.cloudynights.com/lab/mounts/asm.pdf

Tony you might find this review on the CG5 mount interesting . I would feel a little cautious about how well the mount can hold the 91/4 OTA plus any future accessories you might add later on.Doing a little snopping around the package seems to get favourable views but for peace of mind i would be questioning its max payload capability {half that for dedicated imaging}etc. Im biased to fork mounts ,although heavier the ease of use for ALT/az makes the effort worthwhile and with the wedge both modes feel well supported for imaging , i think it would take some time to reach a stage where ability exceeds the performance rendered by a fork mounted SCT {well for me anywhy}. But this pathway will cost more but i would rather be troubled by a overmounted scope{ } then a undermounted one....{nexstar 9 1/4 }

The add on GPS , with the meade gps i feel its more gimmick ,entering time and date takes 10 seconds manually to get the same result , dont know how much the celestron add on costs but use the money elsewhere.

The celestron powerpack looks impressive but you can get something else for much cheaper , i got a 17amp one from Kmart for 95 and lasts about 3 good nights of viewing before recharging. I ended up getting a 35 amp lead sealed battery to run a orion dew zapper {and a laptop}which draines the powerpack in about 3 hrs {its recommended to run only one device off a 12v source}

If the AC adaptor is expensive like meades i would consider the car adaptor , but thats me i have both and use the car adaptor more.

Nexremote is the Autosuite comparsion , and youll need it to run the Nexstar imager unless its like the LPI and you can use some other capture software.

The Ultima 30mm/35mm has a hefty price tag for basically a 50 "AFOV plossl , theres some widefield budget eyepieces that would be a better alternative .