View Single Post
Old 28-03-2024, 07:55 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
I watched the first episode last night, not good viewing while eating dinner.
The sky winking, I'm confused, is that part of the Matrix theory?

Ah, you have to wait to find out.
I read and loved the books - mostly for the concepts they explored. I think Ciuxin Liu is best with the science, not so great as a writer - some of the characters even in the books come off as a bit wooden - particularly the female characters. That said they did blow my mind, and only got better as they went on.

And no, it's not just the translation. I looked it up and a number of bilingual readers have mentioned that he's no literary great, he's a hard science fiction writer. You'll have to excuse the bits in later books where he mentions places in Victoria (Warburton) and mischaracterises it as a vast sandy desert (perhaps mistaking the Great Victoria Desert in WA for Victoria the state (oops!).

The series was an opportunity to redress some of the writing but alas they didn't. The whole incident with the black tie at the funeral being used to throw in the theory of folded dimensions was just clumsy and stupid. The whole way science and scientists were depicted kind of annoyed me. I feel like it lacked any kind of human warmth. I'll persevere with it though because first episodes are hard, but I don't feel like it's well directed generally.

Man, it sounds like I only have bad things to say, but I loved the books and the ideas behind them. He's is truly visionary on that level. Mind blowing stuff. His 'super nova era' novel is worth a look too if you can go with the premise.

Markus