View Single Post
Old 23-03-2021, 08:04 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Yep, frost inside the chamber. My ASI294 developed it after about 12 months use.

I opened it up and dried the desiccant tablets and it cleared after about a week. I got another twelve months and it has started up again. This time I need new desiccant as two of the tablets crumbled when I tried to remove them. I redried the remaining pair and it is improved but not quite right. New ones in the post to me now.

I think it is inevitable, the seal is an O ring (Much more than that would not be practicable at a consumer price) and I have long wondered if cooling the cam would cause a low enough pressure in the chamber to draw air past the O ring.
What you described sounds like what mine has been doing. 12 months it worked fine, I could cool it down to -15 no worries, then it started to frost up. I dried the tablets and I can get to -5 with no frost. When I push it to -10 I start to see the frost build up.

Would putting a few desiccant pouches in a bag and wrapping the camera up help remove some of the moisture?