View Single Post
Old 26-11-2021, 02:18 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

How was the collimation star test before you tried the OCAL? Any thoughts then on which parameter was off after collimation of the secondary? A photo of the setup and results would be handy for others.

The Mewlon (Google says) that all Mak Newts use a spherical primary mirror, like an SCT, so the primary should not need adjustment or a center spot. I presume then that all Mak Newts would then have a spot on the secondary. I may be wrong. The standard Newt with OCAL requires a spot only on the primary. See my pics. The RC pics shown on CN suggest it should work, as they normally have a spotted secondary, but no doubt far more critical than a Newt. But I think ALL RC collimation techniques fit that bill.

I must admit that without some reference on the primary, it would be difficult to decide when collimation is "correct" with a Mak Newt, although due to the spherical primary shape, secondary mirror dot and front Mak lens, I have no idea on how critical all that ray geometry is to final collimation, nor what you're supposed to see.

CN as usual had a million different questions and answers, few of which were useful, perhaps the most interesting thing was the openness and service of the manufacturer in his replies.

I still think the Newt collimation looks most promising, we'll see after the rain. I also have a C8 hyperstar and an RC8, so plenty of testing still to be done.

Last edited by mldee; 26-11-2021 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added more RC comments