View Single Post
Old 21-08-2009, 06:15 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryglen-boy View Post
i am looking at getting a CCD, and can pickup a Meade DSI III OSC CCD cheap, like the budgie, has anyone got any experience of these? i searched online, but cant find many reviews.

Anyone used one? are they worth having? or are they limited in what they can do?

many thanks

Ok, I'll be the guinea pig. I just bought a used one and it should be here in a week or so.

I'm also an inveterate tinkerer and have purchased a small (60W) TE cooling unit from HKG on Ebay, plus a couple of different PWM 12V controllers, same source, all with a view to dabbling on what you are talking about.

I presently have an uncooled unmodded SP900NC Toucam and a Canon 1000d, neither of which seem to suit my abilities or desires. (Learn modest planetary/DSO skills before moving on to a monochrome QHY8 with filters, etc....)

I'll be happy to keep you guys in the loop as to my progress, if any, when things start arriving next week or so. I intend to start with the straight unmodded DSI III OSC with my SW ED100 on an EQ6. The weak link in the chain is presently me