Thread: Guiding woes
View Single Post
Old 30-03-2012, 07:44 AM
rat156

Hi Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfranks View Post
You are correct Stuart, I did some more measurements last night and the errors in the image are in the RA axis. Sorry for the confusion. I tried to perform a Drift align and, following a star on the Meridian + ~ Equator, there was a significant drift to the East in RA with a very slight drift in DEC. The TPoint Model said the MX was 0.5 clicks out in Az. and 0.0 out in El. but I adjusted the MX Azimuth anyway and the star eventually didn't move in DEC over a period of 30 minutes. Moved to East and 20 deg up but got confused on how to read the EW NS drift. I crudely adjusted the MX in Elev and subsequent images were better although there was still significant X and Y variation in guiding corrections. The stars were much better but still out-of-round, slightly triangular if anything.
If you have no drift in DEC, then the PA is fine, even a small amount can be guided away, I would still trust the SB PA using a super model though, it works. Still sounds like a guiding problem.

What are your guide intervals, i.e. what's your guide exposure time? Does the roundness of the stars change when you change the guide interval? Sometimes a longer guide interval is better as you don't chase the seeing.

Of course all this is moot when you get your AO back on line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfranks View Post
I agree the focus isn't spot on but I have had that concern since I bought the RC10C. I use FocusMax so if anyone has a better solution I would love to hear it.
Mk I Eyeball works for me. The stars are reasonably obviously out of focus near the edges of the field, they get elongated, simply focus until they become round, shift focus field, round the stars, shift to point of interest and ensure focus. Works OK, needs tweaking probably about an hour after initial cool down.

Cheers
Stuart