Thread: New Member!
View Single Post
Old 25-02-2015, 11:29 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the forums. I only joined backed in Oct / Nov last year and find there a quite a few really helpful people to answer pretty much any question you have.

An 8 inch scope is a great start and certainly will show you plenty in the night sky once it clears up.

I found if I used Star Chart on the iPad I can literally point it at the sky to show me the names of stars. Stellarium is great on PC / laptop to show what is up in the sky. both need your location info to be reasonably accurate.

Also try http://www.deepskywatch.com/ which has some downloadable maps which can be printed (A3 paper).

Good luck and hopefully clear skies for you soon mate.

Cheers,
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Hey Guys,

Just thought i'd say g'day. I've lurked the forums for a little while deciding what to buy... and yesterday i picked up a 8" Bintel Dob.

The weather in Sydney is obviously horrible at the moment, and until i get to take it outside the city i know i'm missing a lot. But last night even in the clouds i managed to find Jupiter (and its moons!) and was utterly amazed. I really wasn't expecting the detail of the atmospheric bands etc.

Saturn is my next target prior to heading out on some weekend adventures once the weather improves!

Jack