View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 12:51 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

I would have to agree with that. The best eyepieces for me are the ones I use the most because they either provide aspects such as sharpness, contrast, comfort of view, eye relief (starting to become more important as eyesight changes ...), sometimes size (including weight and actual size of the eyepiece) and convenience etc and the scopes you use them with. It tends to be % used and agree it does tend to reflect on the preference and performance of the eyepiece, which is subjective to the perception of the user.

I know a lot of forums I have read people get really stuck into edge of field sharpness versus on axis sharpness as well. Personally I find I stick with on axis as rolling my eyes around tends to affect the vertigo. Again depends on the target being viewed and how much of the field of view you need.

Would love to view through an Apollo 11mm, but being limited edition and quite pricey just did not have the funds and already have a Docter 12.5, Ethos 13mm and Nagler 9mm, 13mm I like the views in. While I have appreciated Ethos I find them cumbersome and the naglers often have a good balance of size, quality and FOV. I still really like the Meade 3000 series and Circle V Celestron / Vixens. I also have the Zeiss Diascope zoom and that is useful and great views in this added to the fact I do not have to keep swapping eyepieces (so convenience factor). I have a LEICA ASPH Zoom as well but tend to favour the Zeiss zoom. In my scopes the Zeiss tends to come to focus a little better. Both are good but feel the Leica can show warmth around the edges - depends on seeing.

I guess that is why comparing eyepieces and having discussions about them can be challenging and quite interesting to read the differing viewpoints.

Like telescopes - the best eyepieces are ones you keep coming back to and using over and over again IMHO.