View Single Post
Old 26-04-2022, 12:24 PM
Todo43 (Lachlan)

Hi Mark,

Great choice. It was my upgrade from a Star Adventurer. I can manage about 0.4 guiding at my lowest on the best nights (50mm guidescope FL200). My only downside is no polar scope. I have since got sharpcap but my young eyes are actually able to spot the pole stars from my location. The detachable polar scope is useless. Always slips out of alignment and is very difficult to align in the first place.

If I had unlimited money, I would have gone for an EQ6-R, because I never use the alt-az function. Quite handy for compact transport though!

Love the dual head and the counterweight extension bar. The actual scope mounting is just annoying compared to an EQ6-R as they are 2 bolts. Rather annoying when you get scratches all along your dovetail bar.

The final thing that I have found with the mount is the pier extension. It's really good when I'm using a big scope (Newt/long refractor) but I've found there's a lot of wobble with it. Very close to trying to remove the extension and use some sort of pipe or metal to replace it (Bunnings here I come)

Jonathan,

Did you ever find it was hard to get ASI Air guiding settings right? May I ask what are your settings? I get maybe 0.9 compared to 0.4 on PHD2 on the computer. Is there a weird setting that I'm missing? (Awesome setup by the way)

Mark, hope you enjoy the mount. Its a great in-between from a HEQ5 and a EQ6R.