View Single Post
Old 22-04-2022, 10:03 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Mark,
Good choice as I wasn’t aware of your situation with weight (back ) portability and not being able to set up permanently for periods of time ( the EQ6-R is more of a permanent mount, definitely not for someone with back issues )
You have the benefit of reduced backlash being belt driven and pec training if you want to go down that path
The stated 15kg payload is normally for visual, hence AP payload would be more like 10kg to 12kg max , still can carry a decent scope with camera and accessories
This mount will be whisper quiet when it slews, your going to love it
Enjoy your new toy
By the way , May is looking good for AP so you don’t have to worry
Cheers
Martin
Cheers Martin - got a swollen disc in my back which can cause some problems & this mount is even lighter than the HEQ5 so will be good for me. While they do say a 15kg payload for astrophotography my guess is they actually mean in EQ mode. Wouldn't really look at putting more than 10kg or 11kg on it anyway and what I have now only comes up to around 9kg max with the SCT. Hope you're right about May, we have had a very frustrating few months.

Quote:
I could be biased, but I think it's an absolutely lovely mount and handles my Esprit 100 with ease. I've done a couple of automated all night imaging runs with it in conjunction with the ASI Air, and they have worked flawlessly with each other. Super happy.

They do tend to arrive with a little slack in the worm drive, but it's easy to tune out if you are chasing the very best on a blustery night.
Glad to hear how well it goes for you Jonathan. Mine has the normal tripod, the pier tripods are harder to find, but I will be looking into getting the extension later. I had seen they do generally need a little tuning of the gears out of the box but it's not a major issue.

Cheers,
Mark