View Single Post
Old 16-07-2021, 07:48 AM
gregbradley

Boy you guys go at it hard. Unnecessarily in my opinion.

I use 6 subs for bias.
I use 3 for flats
I don't use flat darks
I use darks bias and flats. The master flat does not have a bias subtracted from it. I do that when calibrating.

I always test my calibration frames on a sub to make sure they correct as this is a bit of an art and they don't always work well and you have to check why.

I do one flat for all RGB usually the red filter. I keep my filters clean so not relying on flats to remove dust donuts but if yours are dirty then yeah you need a flat for each of RGB.

I get good results. So these 100 bias, 60 flats etc I see people doing I would conclude are minimal improvements to an image and people are copying each other needlessly.

Far more important is exposure length, cleanliness, enough subs, dithering.
Whether you use 6 or 100 bias, darks etc I have yet to see makes hardly any difference unless someone can show me I am wrong there.

Especially with these clean CMOS and most of the late model CCDs that were pretty clean.

Lots of short exposures for CMOS similarly is not needed with these 16 bit cameras. Just treat em like sensitive CCDs. So 300 seconds subs makes sense instead of 600 sec subs. Although if the object is not bright I use 600 sec subs too.

Greg.