Thread: New observatory
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 02:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Time will tell but there will be a genny in that shed and so sparse times will be covered.
This system was quiet cheap as I kept it under a certain amp (50 amps I think) limit that enabled cheaper regulator etc ... The next level saw a significant jump in outlay...I was going to go 48 vlt to use eight solar panels I had laying around with a storage of a killowatt ???( 1000 amp hours at 12 vlts is the way I need to think of it) but that hit $8000 and as I said I did not need to buy solar panels...this little system cost only, from memory, around $2500 and so the saving of $5500 can see a nice key start Honda genny, say $4500... the genny I used to buy "full bore key start" no longer do key start unfortunately as $750 would buy one at Bunnings.
AND this system only powers the observatory as the van has a smaller system ...mainly just a camp fridge.

I like multiple systems mainly because I have lived off grid for so long that I tend to set up many systems.. say one for lights, one for tv, one for computer...because with one system a failure means everything grinds to a halt and being in the bush that situation can be a long time...Once I ran two systems just for lights but after getting into astronomy went back to candles cause I was happy in the dark with good night eyes.
Actually I just remembered I have two smaller systems that were running the scopes and mounts heaters etc so all up I will have 4 systems all up..
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 06-10-2021 at 03:58 PM.