View Single Post
Old 17-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Help with decision; un-cooled vs cooled CMOS camera for EAA

I have been developing some skills and interest in EAA observing using an old Imaging Source DBK41 colour CCD coupled to a Vixen ED103S with focal reducer. The DBK has done well, but I am now thinking of moving up to a more sensitive CMOS camera.

I am using SharpCap to stack and perform basic image enhancements on the fly. I am saving "as viewed" images for observation record purposes only. I am not a fan, nor do I have the time, for post observing image processing. Exposure times range from eight seconds through to one minute single exposures for fainter objects. Total integration times have not exceeded ten minutes.

I live south of Hobart. Evening temperatures during winter will generally range from zero to 5 degrees and Autumn/Spring temperatures seldom are above ten degrees. I don't generally observe in Summer as we don't have dark skies till 11.00 pm due to our long twilight.

So, the big question: is there any advantage to be gained by spending the extra dollars on a cooled camera vs a standard un-cooled one?

I don't think this decision should factor in the possibility of eventually moving to longer exposure imaging.

Any experience feedback or thoughts are most welcome.