View Single Post
Old 15-06-2022, 10:39 AM
Paul Haese

Just a few thoughts from years of experience in remote imaging. I don't know if you intend on going full remote but if you do consider these points.

The computers we use are primarily mounted to the scope. Usually 12 volt which can be run off a powered hub such as MHP or Pegasus. Using a desktop or laptop is not necessary for imaging. The computer will be sufficient with i5 quad core and 8 gig of RAMm and fanless. The main problem will be storage of data. With 250 gig of storage I do a once a year removal of data and back that up to another drive. All data is weeded out to remove bad frames after each session, that way you have only the best data stored.

A UPS is vital in the system, particularly to power the dome. This gives the dome/observatory the best alibility to close the shutter should main power go off line or the computer hangs. Going for a drive early in the morning can sometimes be quite stressful if you cannot check to see if the dome is closed because power has failed. There are settings in the scope dome software which overrides everything to protect the dome and close if certain things transpire to prevent closure.

A good command program will control all the software and manage your imaging sessions. There are some good ones out there and range in price from affordable to very pricey. It's a budget related issue. I have used CCDAP for years but am about to go across to ACP as I want to plan months in advance and imaging to start when targets reach certain elevations. That way I just pick the target and it will let me know when it has reached the data limits set. It will image multiple data sets and image what you want and when you want. It comes with a hefty price tag though.

Do not place your data cables in the same conduit as the power. This can lead to all sorts of issues. Data should always be 150mm to 300mm away from power. It prevents RF related issues and will generally prevent surge related problems. If possible make the trench wide enough to create the separation or deep enough to create the separation. A separate draw string will can be helpful in conduit too. At Swan Reach we went with fibre optic cable in one conduit and cat 6 in another with power separated by 300mm. We then employed a network switch which accepts both cables and our back up is then the cat 6. Surge protectors go between the power GPO and the AC cables for the equipment used in the observatory. A small network switch allows coms with a lot of equipment and also allows POE cameras to operate. The camera gives piece of mind to quickly check what is going on.

Consider multiple means of contacting the observatory. 4g, NBN and Starlink. Two only gives good redundancy. In general look at redundancy carefully across the entire system. It saves a lot of pain in the long run.

There are many more things to consider but these are the most important in my opinion.