View Single Post
Old 20-09-2021, 01:36 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

I'd imagine its not a quick fix, the need to level the back and smooth it. Changes in temp are the same, you have to recalibrate if you have changed a few degrees since your last one anyway. I think the focal length change was covered when they star tested and adjust the tension bolt further, again the F/L dictates the tolerances.

Aberrations/astigmatism plague of any cell design - The contact material would need to be of even compression and adhesion etc. The weight of the mirror should be better distributed over the donut. Might also be a little easier than the 9/18 pointing float systems.

But to get a 16" F5 spherical to paraboloid without parabolising must be worth 50+ hours in my case. If (big if) I can acquire the skills along the way to manage such a blank to a useable wave front.

Certainly going to try with my current 8", I was split between cell designs to hold the mirror for a standard newt on tripod setup as well (retaining clips etc ).

With the Kelley-Alder mirror cell design, if you don't introduce astigmatism, it will hold the mirror for either setup and not use clips, retainers, straps etc which can pinch or distort the mirror.

Steve
Ps. Well I'll give it a try unless someone points out it fatal flaws... I am assuming that there must be some as it should have taken off as an option for some diameter/focal length/glass thickness combo's...

Last edited by mura_gadi; 20-09-2021 at 01:50 PM.