View Single Post
Old 25-01-2017, 10:49 AM
noodles468 (Jared)

Hi Neil,

Nice work on the tester

I'm in the process of building my first foucault tester too, so it's good to see the various approaches in this thread.

I noticed you had no setup yet for measurement, were you planning on using a dial gauge? I purchased one but am having a great difficulty working out how to mount the thing solidly. It only has a flat base so nothing to screw into, I think I will need some kind of clamp setup. The stellafane plans are quite vague about this.

If anyone has any suggestions/examples that would be excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby2 View Post
So much discussion in this thread it's difficult to find a starting point.
I have to convince myself I can test a mirror before buying a blank etc.

Just looking for confirmation that I am doing things correctly.

I have built a foucault tester based on the Stellafane model and have a silvered completed 8" GSO mirror to test.

From the attached images can anyone tell me if:
1. The position of the LED looks OK. Just above the slide hole for full passage of light to the mirror.
2. I have aligned the returned mirror reflection (small circle) back to the knife edge.
3. I have moved the knife edge to the radius of curvature (twice the focal length). On my mirror focal length 1200mm/47.244", f/5.9 making ROC at 94.49 inches.
4. I have observed the returned beam at its smallest and most focused to confirm its at ROC. I have moved the tester closer and further away from the ROC.

Problem is, I am not getting the expected shadow either side of ROC.
At exact ROC the light is very bright.
Is this to be expected when testing on a completed silvered mirror?