View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 11:57 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

DNK21 and "dirt"

Guys
I have recently purchased a DMK21 and have now tried to use it with both a PowerMate5x and a 2x Barlow. Generally I am extremely happy with what I have already done, but I have come up with one small problem.

With the 2x barlow, I don't notice any problems, but with the 5x I see these dark blotches in the field. I figure these blotches must be on the lens or the ccd. As I moved the view around, the blotches stayed on the same spot on the screen.

I have attached two images. This is my second attempt at imaging, and I used the 5x. output000 has two rather large dark spots. Jupiter 3 is the processed image using Registax.

Over the whole field of view, there are quite a few of these spots of varying size. When I play the AVI, these blotches stay in place for the duration.

I have used a blower brush on the ccd and the 5x, but the spots are still there (but maybe fewer of them).

So, should I be blowing harder? Should I be using a cotton bud with some distilled water? Which do you think is the most likely source of the spots - ccd or lens? What would the blotches most likely be? Both are new and this is the first time I have tried them.

Thanks
Darrell
By the way, I am using all this on a Skywatcher 8 inch with an EQ5 mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter 3 - auto2.jpg)
30.1 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (outputq000.jpg)
64.1 KB46 views