View Single Post
Old 23-10-2021, 06:11 PM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

I moved from doing 'regular' photography too ... and to give you the benefit of my experience I'll give you tips that I wish I had of known.

If you want to image deep space stuff (nebulas etc) then you'll want to keep the focal length relatively short. The other advantage of shorter focal lengths is it is more forgiving as you learn polar alignment and such.

If you want to image planetary, then you'll want to get something with a decent focal length but you will be lining yourself up for a difficult time earning polar alignment and so on.

The moon, well, it's usually so bright you almost don't need a mount.

Get a mount that will survive your learning phase, or else you'll just re-buy one. Something in the vicinity of the HEQ5 will get you going for a looong time. Your mount can be used for your current camera and lens, so if you want to spend a little more on the mount, you won't be left with a great mount that you can't use.

Second hand stuff comes up all the time, but be quick when you see them as they tend to go quickly with all the COVID induced shipping delays for new stuff.