View Single Post
Old 14-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
Hi,

The QHY8 is cooled but it is not regulated cooling. Once you turn on the cooling the camera will get as cold as possible but it will vary with ambient. Therefore like a DSLR you probably need to take darks as part of the nights imaging, unlike a regulated setup where you dial in the temp and can take the darks anytime. People say you dont need to take darks with a QHY8 but i dont quite understand this as there are other types of noise apart from just hot pixels.
Paul
ive seen the same comments about no darks, not having any experience with cooled cameras my thinking is this, at cool (maybee -20 deg) the noise level is minimal, and the difference between -20 deg and -16 deg for noise is much less than say 20 deg and 16 deg.... hope that makes some sense.

it might be possible to take a series of darks and use for most of the cool temps with reasonable results ?????

the noise of my 300d although a basic modded job, above 20 deg c is objectionable to the point i dont bother anymore, as i know i can do better another day.

interested in other peoples thoughts