View Single Post
Old 12-06-2022, 11:58 PM
hunty (Rob)
Scubayorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunslayr View Post
Zwo cameras also have an Android app for live view, I've had pretty good luck with that. You just need a type-c/micro usb to usb type-a dongle and it does live stacking. I have no experience with mac, perhaps you could try using ascom alpaca drivers and sharpcap? I have used my a6000 live view with my telescope but it's not sensitive enough. At least with an 8-inch newt. You have to use bulb exposure to see anything but you can use the wifi app to see the images, but I think hdmi out would be more reliable but less convenient. All you need is an e-mount to t2 and a 1.25" adapter and fit to the focuser, or the harder to find e-mount to m48.
Thanks David,
Yes, that's where I got to last week.
I found a Sony a5000 for a good price and it has HDMI (and wifi) output for its live view. I got an E-mount and it all fits together nicely.
I think I still have to play around with focal lengths and getting the image to arrive at the sensor in focus. I've drilled stop-holes in the trusses of my collapsible 14" Dob and have extension tubes, barlows etc etc to try to get it right.
I have Skywatcher's SynScan Pro working well remotely on my iPhone and iPad, but even if I work that out, I still have the issue of having to remotely focus.
Whether I use the ASI astro camera or the Sony a5000 mirrorless, I still have the same lack of understanding - remote focussing from target to target and inability to go over to the scope and look through the eyepiece.
I MUST be missing something obvious.