Thread: Pier question
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2024, 01:54 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshman View Post
oooh. I'm definitely paying attention to this. I'm about to embark on putting in a pier at some point in next few months, so I'm very keen to see everyone's ideas.

What's the final design and dimension for your pier? slightly pyramid shaped, with steel driven into undisturbed dirt radiating out underground?

Basically yes, I currently have a 600x600x600 hole dug, I'll slope the sides later and the steel rebar radiating outwards into the undisturbed dirt should give it a level of rigidity. I haven't looked at what stuff I have laying around, I know I have a heap of 19mm reo somewhere in my steel pile, I think they are 1200mm lengths and I'll likely cut them in half so there's less chance of getting unknown pipes or my electrical and fibre-optics running to my garden shed, that trench isn't too far from where I have the current hole, positioned to give some clearance over trees in other yards and to avoid the front street light which lights up parts of my backyard like a Friday night football game. The reo will all cross over in the slab, possibly like a frame for a tipi:

https://external-content.duckduckgo....d89&ipo=images

I'll also drive some vertical reo down to tie my 16mm (or 20mm I can't remember) stainless rod which will be the main mount points. I was going to weld and bolt the stainless rod in position but whether I can be stuffed pulling a welder out and trying to weld down in the hole, it's a whether dependant, whether I can be bothered but the hole has been dug right in the centre of my three pavers I currently use so I'm thinking not the place to be shuffling around in the dark. I either get it done or I don't take a telescope out.

My gear isn't overly heavy, an EQ5 PRO (modified) and my heaviest scope would be my 152mm Skywatcher refractor (often carries the Megrez as a spotter) or my 8" GSO f5 Newt but my primary scopes are my Megrez (original model) 80mm refractor and the GSO RC8 carbon. Both are quite light.