View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 04:41 PM
legswilly (Werner)

Stuck at polishing

I checked after grinding with 1200 grit and the surface looked OK. Started to polish with cerium oxide. I had some sessions and checked the progress. It looked much clearer and did a test with a mini mag light and came across some very fine scratches. At first I thought it is from the pitch lap I made and I was worried (the first one I made). Then I wanted to see if it is indeed the pitch lap, by doing another 2 sessions of polishing, this time not by hand but on the turntable. There were a few less scratches, with the very faint ones gone. It was not the pitch lap? Tried to polish a few more sessions on the turntable, but the few scratches would not go away, but would not increase in number. I will go back to 800 and 1200 grit and get the scratches out before I start polishing again.
Question, My cerium oxide is of a reddish brown colour. What I see on the net is that people are using a white one. Is my cerium oxide of poor quality? Would it still polish out, but take longer? I bought this from a supplier which we used when I was still working.