View Single Post
Old 26-11-2021, 09:21 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Good thoughts all. I suspect that I wouldn't be able to detect much difference between a planetary Plossl EP and my XW's given my aging eyes and level of observing abilities and if that's the case, I'm pretty happy. Still would be good to try one day.

Cheers

Markus
Hi Markus,

A bit late here. I have 5mm and 7mm Pentax XW's and 5mm and 7mm UO HD Orthoscopics. I've spent quite a bit of time comparing them side by side over the last 15 to 20 years. I'm yet to really pick much of a difference, if any, in terms of planetary detail visible. Sometimes you think you see something in one that you don't see in the other. Then you revisit the same feature with both shortly after, and it's there in both, or gone in both and obviously the previous difference you saw was seeing related. The UO HD orthos are very good and probably the optical equal of any plossl I've ever used. If you went to the top level of orthos to say Zeiss Abbe, Pentax XO or Nikon, I think you would detect a slight advantage in favour of the orthos, but I'm yet to find a plossl that can run at that level.

On the basis that the Pentax XW's have a big advantage in terms of Eye relief, comfort, AFOV and EOF correction the orthos only get used with my spectroscope, as it needs a small eyepiece to attach to.

Cheers
John B