View Single Post
Old 03-05-2022, 07:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

When I got back into astro photography I was moving my rig between here and Sydney and could never get decent polar alignment..before pole master, Sharpcap Nina etc...so my polar alignment forced me to go for short exposures and I guess I got into the habit as the longest I select now is one minute ..this may change as I am going to stop using insane high gain and follow the rules..however what I see as an advantage is being able to throw out any sub that even hints at not being perfect ..the times I have done long exposures ( only 2 minutes) I found I really had to keep poor subs because ofcthectime investment and really they were all generally poor...but keeping only good ones really pays off...I have started on one occasion with 850 subs that I kept cutting down until I only used less than half but the image was far superior to a stack with everything.
And with planes going by where I am you need to be able to drop a few just for that reason..but in reviewing my images it surprises me how things can change from one sub to another..the mount, the wind whatever...

The main reason I purchased the RASA was in the hope that I can take very short subs..basically along the lucky imaging lines..Simply to get better detail..early days and I have yet to have one night that it was reasonable...it is just too wet..even if clear the water is up there...

Anyways I do think there is hope and for me personally I liked the big advantage of having less attachment to a sub..once I look for reasons not to throw them out now I ask are they really good enough not to upset the good "croud" that I have assembled.

I don't know how noise will affect my plans but I feel it should be manageable and see the advantage as having in effect better seeing.

Alex