View Single Post
Old 30-03-2021, 07:19 PM
evltoy (Wayne)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro744 View Post
You are caught in no man’s land between not enough outward travel without diagonal and too much with.

I just tried my ED80 with Andrews 2x 2” diagonal (similar to GSO but Saxon looks to have a longer barrel) and without diagonal I needed to add a 3” extension tube. The diagonal is adding about 4” but in any case you should omit it for photography.

Try racking out fully and then also pulling the Barlow out (with camera attached) until you get focus. (Try on a distant tree). You will then see how much extension you need.

I also tried Barlow + diagonal + camera and couldn’t rack inward far enough. I then tried diagonal + Barlow + camera and was able to get focus with 10mm to spare (inward limit).

Your Barlow seems to have a longer barrel and this may be contributing to you not having enough travel. A 3” extension should be all you need without diagonal in place. It is handy to have both 2” and 3” extensions in one’s kit for things like this especially if you have multiple telescopes or you add a focal reducer/flattened which then changes things again.
Oh wow! Thank you very much for taking the time to trial those different combinations with your equipment. I was just telling the wife that I was gonna spend some hours tonight and try and work out what combination was going to work. You have saved me a ton of time and effort.

I do have about 2-4” in total of m42 rings in various sizes that I can set between the Barlow and Camera. I’ll play with this tonight.

On another note, I don’t use the diagonal in my imaging train, but in this instance I was just working out where my issue was

Thanks again for helping me out