View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 06:24 PM
astro744

How often do you use observe at 300x with the 10mm/2x Barlow and what targets do you prefer? The 230x of the 6.5mm would be used more often I would think but 300x is certainly attainable for say planets with a 12” mirror giving 1mm exit pupil so a relatively bright image. Seeing and quality of optics (surface accuracy and collimation) will be the determining factors.

What about something in the 12-13mm range which you could then Barlow to get 6-6.5mm? Or replace the 10mm Plossl with a 10mm Pentax which you could Barlow to get the 5mm you desire.

If your only issue with Tele Vue is cost then consider used. There is a 13mm T6 Nagler in the classifieds at present or at least was last time I checked. This one would be fantastic in your telescope for large globular clusters and nebulae as well as planets both Barlowed and non-Barlowed. (Quality of Barlow will impact on quality of view).

There is also a used 4.7mm/82 Meade for sale in the classifieds. Not sure if you’re considering this one. I don’t like recommending eyepieces I haven’t used and I haven’t used either Pentax 10 XW or the Meade 4.7/82. I have used the Nagler 13/T6 and it would perform very well at f5 with the only aberration seen being primary mirror coma which you could remove with a Paracorr. (The coma would be tony and for most non-objectionable at f5). The would be no astigmatism from the Nagler. I’m sure others can vouch for the other eyepieces if the Tele Vue is still too pricey used.

Last edited by astro744; 01-12-2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Added last para.