View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 07:48 PM
AdamJL

Hi Martin

So there are a few things to mention here:
ASTAP can load an individual file fairly quickly. On my Surface Book 2 it's a couple of seconds. About the same speed as ASIStudio. On my Ryzen 3900X gaming machine (32GB RAM, Nvidia 2070 Super), it's much faster.

Where it falls apart, is the Thumbnail viewer. ASTAP takes a month of Sunday's to build the gallery. A couple of seconds for each image. Now if you have the program open continuously as you shoot, maybe that's a non-issue because ASTAP will load the thumbnail in the background.
On my shooting machine (Surface Book 2) I only open the software I need. ASIStudio on the other hand, doesn't have to build a thumbnail gallery, it gives you a list of files. You click the list (or use the arrow keys) and it takes a second to cycle to the next image.

As I've been writing this, ASTAP has been slowly building a thumbnail viewer of an image gallery I've got in OneDrive (locally synced). It's 4 minutes in, and has managed to preview two DSS Fits, and I think it's now pushed past my Dark Flats images. In the meantime, the program is unresponsive as it builds the library.

This is a sub-optimal experience IMO. ASIStudio just loads the gallery instantly, admittedly without a thumbnail view, but it's incredibly quick to cycle through each image.