View Single Post
Old 13-05-2013, 08:33 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi Faith,

I have been a very long time star hopper and now have 4 Argo Navis units, on 4 different telescopes (all dobs). I will never own another telescope without an Argo Navis, or something very similar.

Conservatively, I would estimate that Argo increases the number of targets I can observe in a night threefold, and probably more.

If you want a standard Argo installation there is no reason to buy anything from anyone other than Gary. He sells everything you will need (including the azimuth pivot bolt). It all fits together and works exactly as it should and he will provide you with unsurpassed after sales service and installation assistance.

Something to consider which I don't think Gary sells is the Servocat powered ground board. This costs about $200 and makes a really nice job of getting power to the scope and to all other parts of it for dew controllers etc. The Markless Astronomics Catstalk is another really nice option for getting the Argo and cabling right out of the way. These things aren't difficult to fit, but a little harder than a standard Argo install

Cheers
John B