View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Exfso (Peter)

My thoughts go out to you Alex. It brings back memories of when I had a great slab of my tongue removed. I woke up wired with all sorts of crap, and like you the dreaded trach. It is not fun spewing through one of these. In addition I had at least 50 staples attached to a cut in my neck from my adams apple to my right ear. This is where they removed a heap of lymph glands.
If you were on blood thinners, do NOT let them get you back on them too quickly as I found out to my detriment, it started the whole issue bleeding like a fountain, had 2 emergency ops to quell the flow, the last should have only taken around 30 mins but took 3 hrs, I believe I was in all sorts of crap at one stage according to the surgeon.
Anyway my point is that happened 11 years ago now and I am still here to be a bit of a nuisance. The subsequent radiation pretty well ruined my taste and saliva glands, not tasted anything since. As well my thyroid function is extremely degraded and have to take thyroxine for the rest of my life.
But you have to fight through these things and yep it sure as hell is not fun, but neither is the alternative.