View Single Post
Old 24-12-2023, 01:17 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurorae View Post
Thanks for your response JA. I have a Nikon Z7ii full frame and an FTZ adapter, but I am unsure whether the adapter would be a good idea with such an intended focal length. My preference would be a telescope, which could actually be cheaper (see previous response to Joe). Still happy to hear your suggestions.
I wouldn't worry about the FTZ adapter, I find it very sturdily made and it has a tripod mount which in conjunction with the camera 1/4" tripod mount or the lens 1/4" tripod mount can be tied together to form a very rigid system, if you really want to.

Anyway as far as recommendations based on your Andromeda desires go, they would need an ~400mm focal length for a frame filling image, but Nikkors at 400mm, only really are the 400mm f/2.8 telephotos, which are too heavy at around 5kg and $$$, even for the older manual focus versions.

The 300mm options are much more open you could go for a 300mm f/2.8 older manual focus lens which is around 3kg and anywhere between ~$1K to $2Kused or Multi $$$ for the new models , that's possibly a bit too large also, unless you're a speed demon and must have the f/2.8.

I believe the real pick for a lighter weight "travel" system, lighter than the 1.8ish kg Redcat 51 or Skywatcher 72ED and much faster, would be the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. It weighs in at around 1.4kg, has a 75mm aperture and can be had for around $700 on the used market (or ~$1500 New)

It is a VERY sharp lens and would give either the Redcat51 or Skywatcher 72ED a good run for their money.

Of course if you want a wider field and are happy to crop, then at say 135mm you could go for the hellaciously sharp Sigma Art 135mm f/1.8 at ~$1K used ($2k new), which is sharper than the other usual 135mm contender, the Samyang 135mm f/2.

Good luck with your choices

and PS.... Get the Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF-S, it's lighter, faster and well priced.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 24-12-2023 at 01:36 AM.