View Single Post
Old 26-09-2018, 02:07 AM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Object near Canopus

Hi Lewis,
I saw this as well from regional Qld but was reluctant to post my experience without photographical evidence in case people thought I was .
I can however offer a detailed description of what I saw visually. I had just returned my scope to the home position & about to pack up when I noticed the object below & to the right of Canopus, I noted the time was 12:42. It was easy to slew my 127ED with the 24mm 82deg eyepiece still in it & still focused across to the object & track it using the hand control. I was afforded a very decent view & maintained very good visual contact with the object as it moved towards the horizon in the SE. At the centre of the luminous glow there was a pinpoint sharp object similar to how a satellite would look as it passes through your FOV , but this was brighter & distinctly red in colour. As I continued to follow it a satellite did indeed pass through my FOV on a path at right angles to the object for a convenient comparison, this highlighted the fact it was moving much faster & was larger & brighter than the satellite. The glow around the object I could only describe as nebulous & the whole image remained consistent until it disappeared from view. I must admit I felt a bit of a chill down my spine at the time after witnessing such a phenomenon. Do we have reasonable explanation for it yet? BTW I'm expecting a visit from the MIB
Clear skies,
Tony