Thread: Gidday All
View Single Post
Old 23-12-2009, 09:16 PM
southerncross (Jeff)

Gidday All

Thanks for a great place to learn, I literally stumbled upon the site while surfing for information on telescopes and it look's like I've hit the jackpot.

Just wondering if you kind folk could help me out with some informed opinion on the following.

I'm a complete novice but have just decided that I want to purchase a telescope after years of wanting to, I have done a bit of research over the past month or so and have decided on an 8 or 10 inch dob as my first scope depending on budget. Right choice?

My questions are , Which brand is best (I know it's a matter of opinion mostly but would anyone here consider a Seben?) I'm after a quality brand that I can use and pass on to my Kids in a few years, so as a newbie I'd just like to maybe get an idea of which Brands you guys/girls think of as quality as there are so many choices out there.

Next up apart from the Orion intelliscope are there other goto Dob scopes? I would like to have a motor drive at least to allow for easier viewing but would like to maybe add something after purchasing the scope. Are there after market add ons that are available and if so is it dependent on the brand?

My plan is to buy a quality scope and put any excess dollars into purchasing additional eyepieces, filters etc, learn both the sky and the scope (or vice versa) and then add on a motor drive or goto drive as $ allow, I'd like to know if I'm heading in the right direction here and would love some advice.

I apologise if theses questions have already been answered here, I have had a quick squiz of the newbies pages but I am quite eager to get me a scope and start seeing and learning.