View Single Post
Old 24-02-2021, 06:10 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

All fair points below. Had both, both have their advantages and disadvantages, you want to pop out an image instantly where the weather can be dodgy and you might get interrupted go the OSC it’s good for comets too. Want to get more detail, prepared to put in the time etc, yes mono..... but buy what YOU want don’t buy to impress others or try to compete, just enjoy the experience.

NOW
Let’s talk money.
Here’s what you need to know, OSC you’re up and running straight away so say you want a 26 mp camera, ball park $3300 I’m going to assume you already have a flattener as either way you need one

Ok so maybe you go with the mono, similar price, but now you are going to need a filter wheel ( $add) maybe the set of RGB filters aren’t quite up to scratch ($add) same goes for the luminance ( $add) of course now you are going to want a Ha filter ($add) oh wow this narrowband thing is awesome you’re going to need new S2 and O3 filters ($add) and darn that 5 filter wheel is not enough so you lash out and buy a 7 filter wheel ($add) oops all of a sudden that’s more weight than you expected and that focuser just can’t hold it any more, better get a new one ($add) of course down the track a little bit you discover that you just can’t suck up the detail with a 6nm filter you’re going to have to replace them all with expensive 3nm ones ($add ) around this time you’re thinking why did I take the red pill I should have taken the blue one... yes there are times I regret but it’s too late for me .....

Last edited by Alchemy; 24-02-2021 at 06:12 PM. Reason: More info